Clive’s Private Members Bill The National Health Service (amended duties and powers) Bill has now been published. The Bill will amend the Tories 2012 Health and Social Care Act to stop the increasing privatisation of our NHS.
“The NHS as we know it today will disappear if we continue to allow services to be contracted out to private companies.” explains Clive. “The Government’s own figures for 2013-14 show that more than £10bn was spent on the purchase of healthcare from non-NHS bodies. If this is allowed to continue it will seriously undermine the capacity of the NHS to provide services in the future, leaving us at the mercy of the private sector. This Bill will halt the rush to privatisation and put patients rather than profits at the heart of our NHS.”
“My Bill will also give Parliament sovereignty over the NHS and will protect it from TTIP which threatens to allow private companies to use the courts to force the wholesale privatisation of the NHS.”
The Bill will:
- Re-establish the Secretary of State’s legal duty to provide national health services in England base on social solidarity. This means that the Government will no longer be able to evade any responsibility about the NHS by insisting it lies with unelected quangos and local health commissioners.
- Create a roadblock to prevent private companies from using the Courts under the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) to force their way into providing NHS services. The Bill will mean that the treaty – even if ratified by the Government – will not be allowed to force competition obligations on to the NHS in in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.
- Amend the provisions of the Health and Social Care Act 2012 relating to Monitor scrapping its role as the economic regulator for the NHS forcing contracts to be opened up to private health companies.
- Repeal the Regulations made under infamous Section 75 of that 2012 Act which requires commissioners to put out to tender everything that could conceivably be provided by private companies.
- Ensure that all contracts will be NHS contracts, except in exceptional cases, which will take it outside of the EU’s tendering regulations which removes the obligation to allow private health providers to bid for NHS services.
To see a full copy of Clive’s Bill then please click here.
Please show your support by:
- Signing up for updates on the campaign by entering your email address here
- Signing the Petition on the Government epetition website: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/68064
- Signing the Petition on the Labour Party Website: www.labour.org.uk/nhspetition
- Share details about the campaign on social media (You can use the links below to post a message to facebook or tweet sharing this page)